When is it safe to reopen our synagogues and schools? What specific social distancing precautions should we take? What are the recommended protocols for testing and PPE? Our entire Jewish ecosystem has been preoccupied with these critical questions, prompting Federation to convene a series of sector and cross-sector meetings to discuss our individual and collective approaches.
Federation has been working with some of our key sectors (synagogues, Jewish day schools, preschools, Supplementary and after school programs, festivals & events, and community engagement organizations) to discuss our plans. We’re also assembling a group of 5-7 public health experts, bioethicists and economists to assist the Atlanta Jewish community in its goal of working together during the pandemic and to discuss the issues that evolve including:
- What symptom screening protocols are we using?
- What are our baseline practices including upgraded cleaning and disinfecting practices, social distancing, and universal compliance and enforcement of masks?
- How do we determine what assembly is appropriate, if any, based on where we are in the sequence of phased opening given public health definitions?
- How do we communicate in a way that honors the privacy of individuals while notifying each other of cases among those in our community?
- How can we support each other’s efforts to secure PPE, prioritizing the Jewish organizations that have the highest need at each phase of recovery?
On this last question, we are proud to announce Federation and Jewish HomeLife have created the PPE Project for our nonprofits to purchase, at cost, personal protective equipment (PPE). The focus will be on obtaining N95 masks, surgical masks, gloves, and hand sanitizer. JHL will oversee procurement, acquisition, and distribution; they are ready to accept orders now.
Opt in is a two-step process: Every organization choosing to be a part of the program must have one of their representatives fill out, sign, and return the JHL Fulfillment PPE Agreement and fill out and return an initial PPE Order Form. Please scan and return both documents to the email listed on each document. The order form must be filled out each time, so please save it. Click here to learn more.