On May 5 the 28th annual Hadassah Greater Atlanta (HGA) Chesed Student Awards honoring excellence and menschlichkeit in Atlanta’s Jewish teens took place at Temple Emanu-El. HGA partnered with JumpSpark to honor 22 of the best and brightest young leaders and mensches representing synagogues, day schools, and Jewish organizations in our community.
Hadassah’s Chesed Student Awards program was excited to debut three individual awards with monetary gifts. The Phyllis M. Cohen Chesed Leadership Award was presented to Jereme Weiner, nominated by Creating Connected Communities. She was one of two Chesed essay contest winners. The Linda and Michael Weinroth Chesed Community Service Award essay contest winner was Grant Chernau, nominated by Congregation Etz Chaim. Each recipient received $500.
The Change Maker Award was presented by JumpSpark, Atlanta’s initiative for Jewish teen engagement connecting and investing in the community to create more meaningful and defining moments for Jewish teens in Atlanta. JumpSpark is supported as an innovation initiative of the Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta, by the Jim Joseph Foundation and by generous donors in the community.
The Change Maker Award recognizes a Jewish professional who has made an impact in the lives of Jewish teens and has shown great dedication to the Atlanta Jewish community. The Change Maker Award winner was Steven Resnick, Youth Director at Etz Chaim, who received $1,000 to fund programming and supplies for his youth group. He was chosen from nominations by Chesed Award teen recipients.
To learn more about Hadassah and the Chesed awards, please visit www.hadassah.org/atlanta.
2019 Hadassah Chesed Student Award Recipients:
- Miriam Sirota, Atlanta Jewish Academy
- Elaine Berger, Congregation Beth Shalom
- Robbie Garber, Congregation B’nai Torah
- Alex Rothenberg, Congregation Dor Tamid
- Grant Chernau, Congregation Etz Chaim
- Morgan Cushing, Congregation Gesher L’Torah
- Sarah Jeffres, Congregation Or Hadash
- Paulo Ariel Fulgenzi, Congregation Or VeShalom
- Sam Trotz, Congregation Shearith Israel
- Jereme Weiner, Creating Connected Communities
- Jacob Rubin, The Davis Academy
- Zoe Sokol, Jewish Kids Groups
- Nolan Siegel, NFTY-SAR
- Melina Stein, Temple Beth David
- Leah Faupel, Temple Beth Tikvah
- Jacob Sloman, Temple Emanu-El
- Alexa Phillips, Temple Kehillat Chaim
- Zoe Alexander, Temple Sinai
- Julia Harris, The Epstein School
- Molly Edlein, The Temple
- Adam Cohen, The Weber School
- Tzipora Estreicher, Torah Day School of Atlanta